Memorial Day weekend is here and it’s the long weekend we have all been waiting for. To be with family, visit passed loved ones, and eat great food. We want to provide the perfect guide for you to get outside, do something active, and include some healthy options into your Memorial Day plans.
Healthy Memorial Day Tips
1. Get outside and do something active.
Getting outside and being active is a great way to enjoy the holiday. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have to wake up and head to the gym, but you can include some active minutes and have your family join you! Being able to go on a walk with your family or head to the park to play some ball games can be a fun way to be active and make memories with your loved ones.
2. Include healthy options at your BBQ.
Barbecues are one of our favorite summertime activities. Getting everyone together for some tasty food is truly the staple of a good summer. The options to a good barbecue are endless but we decided to provide you with some tasty CRAFTED™ recipes that you can throw on the grill or add some of our CRAFTED™ spices for everyone to enjoy.
- 3 lb chicken wings
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1-2 Tbsp of your choice of CRAFTED spice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil and fit the baking sheets with wire racks.
- If your chicken wings are whole, cut the tips off, and separate the drumettes and the flats.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken wings with the melted butter and your choice of CRAFTED seasoning.
- Arrange the coated chicken wings in a single layer on the wire racks, not touching each other. Bake until the skin is browned and crispy, about 40 minutes.
Island BBQ Shrimp
▪️1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
▪️1 Tbsp butter, melted
▪️1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
▪️1 tsp orange juice
▪️1 clove garlic, minced
▪️1 tsp Island BBQ Crafted Spice
- Boil water in a large pot, add shrimp, and cook until done (no longer transparent, about 5-7 minutes), then drain. Grill for a few minutes each side.
- Mix melted butter, lemon juice, orange juice, garlic, and Island BBQ Crafted Spice into a small bowl and brush over cooked shrimp. Serve with your favorite veggie and carbohydrate or over a salad.
3. Don’t forget to stay hydrated.
As it starts to warm up outside it’s important to remind yourself to stay hydrated. Making sure that you drink enough liquids throughout the day can prevent the urge to overeat and can help you burn more calories. You’ll also want to make sure to pack some extra water for your plans. Even bringing along some extra tasty HEART & HYDRATION™ will be a great treat for everyone to add to their barbecue.
4. Enjoy some healthy Memorial Day desserts.
No barbecue is complete without dessert. Let’s be honest… most holidays aren’t complete without desserts. They are hard to pass up but adding some healthy options will make all the sugar guilt go away! And as an added bonus everyone will love them, trust us.
Chocolate Brownie Bites with rePLACE™
- 1 pouch chocolate rePLACE
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 1/4 c peanut butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- Dash of almond milk
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Mix dry ingredients first, getting rid of any clumps.
- Add the peanut butter and honey and dash of almond milk If needed. Should be a sticky and doughy consistency. Makes about 12 bites.
We here at TruVision Health™ wish you a happy and safe Memorial Day, filled with family and laughter. Don’t forget you don’t have to throw your healthy habits out the window on a holiday. You can always find the small things to throw in to make it a healthy and memorable holiday for everyone!