Alongside New Year’s Resolutions and goals you’re hoping to achieve, it’s also a great time to start thinking about what you can let go of this year as well. There’s no need to hold onto things that no longer benefit your life and where you’re trying to go! It’s important to remember you and to sometimes put you first! So, here’s a list of what to let go of in 2020:
- Let go of negative thoughts about yourself – You are AWESOME and uniquely you. In this day and age, it’s very easy to get caught up in idolizing and wanting to be like someone else, but we have to learn to let that go. There’s no one else you should want to be, other than yourself and it’s time you start recognizing all the positive attributes you bring to this world! So let go of the negative thoughts in 2020.
- Weed out the negative people in your life – Negativity can spread like wildfire, and if you tend to hang out around the wrong crowd… negativity will eventually fill up your life. It’s important to have positive people surrounding you. People who are always trying to see the positive and push you to be better. So start to let go of the negative people who may be weighing you down.
- If you’re trying to quit a bad habit, substitute it with a more positive one – Let’s say you’re trying to quit smoking, anytime you feel the urge to smoke, possibly replace it with something more positive. Such as a walk, a healthy snack or another hobby you enjoy. Of course, it’s easier said than done, but the mindset is a great start!
- Be aware of your thought patterns and interrupt it when old habits arise – When one of those negative thoughts start to pop into your head, be better at catching them. Recognize that the negative thought was there and start replacing them with at least 3 positive thoughts. This is an essential step when trying to better yourself and let go of bad or old habits.
- Cut out as many triggers as possible – If one of your bad habit triggers is eating salty or sugary sweets throughout the day, start by trying to cut out one a day. Each day slowly adding another, until you are down to one treat per day. When you go to the store, make sure you’re not going there on an empty stomach, as you’ll tend to get the sugary and salty sweets. If your home is filled with snacks it will be a lot easier to access, but if you can ensure to not even purchase them in the first place, then you’re headed towards a step in the right direction. Let go of those pesky triggers!
- Accept failures and learn from them – We are all human, and what are humans great at? Making mistakes and sometimes failing at certain tasks. It’s more than okay for these to happen from time to time. The important thing is that you learn from them, so that next time you are more prepared and ready to accept the challenge. Start to let go of the idea of perfection and grow from failures.
- Don’t focus on what you don’t want – Check out our recent blog for great information on this topic! It’s important to write down your goals in a SMART way! Your goals need to be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound to be successful! Don’t focus on things that don’t truly matter or that you don’t want, make sure to focus directly on what works best for you and what will make you better!
- Stop comparing yourself to others – As stated in step number one it’s very easy to constantly compare yourself to others. But when you realize to accept who you are and you are continually trying to better yourself for your own sake, then you’ll feel a lot better about yourself!
- Stop listening to the wrong people – Everyone seems to have an opinion on everything nowadays and it’s important that you listen to what you need. You need to let go of listening to the wrong people because the only opinion that matters is yours. Of course, we will need others support, but make sure they don’t stand in the way of what you are trying to accomplish and who you are trying to be.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help – Sometimes we just need someone else’s help and that’s okay. Occasionally, we just need to catch a break and to let go of the thought that we need to do everything on our own. Don’t be afraid to reach out to those who matter in your life, and see if they can help in any way. Most likely, they just want to see you succeed and want to be there to help you in any way they can.
- Keep moving forward and don’t look back – The saying, “Don’t move backwards, you’re not going that way” is so relevant to life today. It’s very easy to get caught up in the past and blame our past for how we turned out to be. But sometimes the only way to move on is to move forward. You had those experiences for a reason and they may have been failures, but make sure to learn from them and better yourself. The past is there to learn and grow from, so make sure you push past them and better yourself each day.
We hope that you apply some of these attributes to your new year. It’s important to think about yourself sometimes and look at what you can do to make your life a little easier and better overall. Add “letting go” to your New Year’s Resolution list to make for an unstoppable 2020 year!